The Journey Continues

October 18, 2018

Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” – James Dean

We wake up to the sounds of water slapping the hull and sea birds screaming. 

It's snug and warm in the cabin despite the chill in the air outside. Through the ports, we can see a gray and overcast sky. Weather reports say it will burn off a little, but rain off and on with a high temperature of 75.

We are on the hook in a little cove in Galveston Yacht Basin. Arriving here about 2:30 on the 17th, finally free of the dock. 

Our trip here from Seabrook Marina took just 4.5 hours, as we made really nice speed in the 16 kph favorable winds. We encountered some rolly waves, but nothing even uncomfortable. 

We are both feeling exhilirated.

Two months at dock in the sweltering Texas heat was too long.

I knew the day we put tarps up to cut the heat, that we were going to be dock rats for the duration. It was simply too much work, again in the heat, to make our home a sailboat, and back again.I had a love-hate relationship with those tarps. 

Seabrook Marina is an extremely nice spot. I can't say enough about the place, really. The people there are also fantastic. My only caution for being there would be that it is not walkable to anything, as our uber, uber eats, and enterprise rental car bills can attest to. 

I'd recommend NOT arriving there in August. Even those with constantly running marine AC had issues keeping cool. NeverLand is not equipped with such, and we even checked in a hotel a few times, as well as went to watch movies we didn't even care to see, to escape the relentless heat and humidity. The only breaks from the heat were days full of rain. 

Even the facilities within the Marina itself were too far to walk to in the heat on some days. Since the Marina is so sprawled out the pool, laundry, marina store, etc, is a hike. 

I can't blame the Marina for the weather. And I would highly recommend Seabrook Marina. About now would be a great time of year to pull in there.

Yesterday was chilly but not unbearable. Robert and I took turns at the helm, and gave Smee (the auto pilot) a little work too, as Smee has done nothing for two months! 

Everything worked like a champ. We traveled 39.6 miles to the Yacht Basin, probably averaging 6.5 kph overall, and dropped anchor almost the exact spot we had when traveling to Kemah. Along the way dolphins were everywhere! We have never spotted so many on any route. They followed us into the cove and splashed around us as we chose our spot. The muddy bottom grabbed the anchor right away and I went below and started cooking dinner immediately. Sailing in brisk water sure works up an appetite! 

The anchorage was a bit rolly, but soft rolls, nothing jarring. I fell asleep right after dinner trying to read, but still had no problem falling asleep before 11, despite the nap.

We had our traditional oreos for dessert. Everything tastes better on the water!

Of course, being the worry wart I am I also got up pretty much every hour and checked our location. We have a drift alarm, but it's second nature for me to be on the alert. The wind howled all night, and we still aren't used to the quiet of no running fans, so there was a lot of noise. But we got a fairly good night's rest anyway.

I like this anchorage spot a lot. Basically, I love being on the hook, period. There's just something special about occupying a piece of water nobody owns and paying nothing for the priviledge. I like it so much, I suggest we stay here in this spot another night and Captain agrees that sounds like a plan. We are fully provisioned, the solar panels are picking up enough to keep what little we need running, and we need nothing whatsoever from civilization today. That is one of the reasons we have opted for this basic kind of sailboat. 

So here we are. I  made myself a cafe mocha with my tiny stovetop espresso maker and hot milk with Hersheys dark chocolate.

I pretty much feel like queen for the day.

Later I will whip us up a nice brunch. 

I may even try to light the oven. 

We are stranded on the hook. Please, don't try to save us.